Are you suffering from joint pain that bounds your movement and causes stiff, painful movements?
This is often caused by Osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis breaks down and wears away the top layer of cartilage and causes joint pain, swelling, and stiffness. Moreover, if this situation continuously happens over time, the joint may be deformed and lose its normal shape and causes more pain and damage.
Osteoarthritis most often occurs in elderly people. Sometimes osteoarthritis may affect younger people also primarily due to their joint injuries. Usually, Osteoarthritis gradually happens over time. Various risk factors associated with Osteoarthritis include:
- Overweight or Obesity
- Old age
- Joint injury
- Undeveloped Joints
- Genetic defect in joint cartilage
- Stress on the joints due to certain jobs and sports
Various warning signs of osteoarthritis may include:
- Joint stiffness after getting out of bed or sitting for a long period
- Pain, swelling or tenderness in one or more joints
- Crunching noise or feel due to the friction of bones.
There is no single test available to diagnose osteoarthritis. Generally, doctors use various methods or tests to rule out other problems and confirm the disease.
- Medical history
- Physical exam
- X-ray of affected joint
- Other tests including blood tests or fluid exam in the joints.
Doctors often perform a combined treatment plan according to a specific patient’s needs, health, and lifestyle. Osteoarthritis treatment is usually planned to achieve four basic goals such as improvement of joint function, maintain a healthy body weight and lifestyle along with the pain management. You can get knee osteoarthritis treatment Ludhiana, Punjab.
An ideal Osteoarthritis treatment plan may involve:
- Regular Exercise
- Controlled weight management
- Rest and joint care
- Pain management with nondrug pain relief techniques
- Alternative and complementary therapies
The Disease and the Symptoms:
Caused by a viral infection, this disease is characterized by swelling and irritation in the joints. Primary symptoms can include muscle and joint pain, swelling in the joints proceeded by fever, with or without a rash. In some extreme cases, the patient can suffer from all these symptoms simultaneously.
In India, viral disease such as dengue and chikungunya are the major cause of viral arthritis. Other viruses that can be responsible for this disease include hepatitis B, C, HIV, hepatitis B and C, rubella, and mumps
IN THE RISK ZONE
Though anyone can be affected by this disease, people who are more prone to catch viral infections and arthritis due to other medical conditions fall in the risk zone.
- Expecting mothers
- Geriatric patients
- Young and malnourished children
- Patients with vitamin and micronutrient deficiencies
- Patients with compromised immune systems
Understanding the Disease:
The immune system gets activated and produces antibodies to fight viral antigens when the viruses enter the body. This antigen-antibody problem can affect the muscles and joints, resulting in acute pain.
At times, the body is unable to differentiate between the antibodies and antigens, following which the immune system begins to attack the joint tissues.
- Viral arthritis is a self-limiting disease and does not respond to antibiotics or other medications.
- Hence, the treatment here must be supportive with a focus on the symptoms.
- Medication can be given to patients to alleviate the pain. Usually paracetamol is the drug of choice.
- If approved by the doctor, the patient can also undergo physical therapy to strengthen his muscles, improve flexibility and get a long-term pain relief.
- For Pregnant women, it would be necessary to take medications to prevent harmful side- effects from affecting the body.
- Drink Plenty of fluids
- Consume food rich in Vitamin D, E and B12
- Follow ergonomic postures to prevent excess stress on joints
- Take rest when joints are inflamed
- Contact a doctor at #Themediclinic immediately if suffering from high temperature fever with a rash
If you are also suffering from the same problem, then you can visit best chikungunya arthritis doctor in Punjab for the treatment.